Saturday, January 11, 2014

A ----load of tomatoes

My son brought them home after working the harvest in his boss' garden yesterday. I  promptly photographed them against the western light breaking on a departing storm, because after all who doesn't do that, and then I bethought me -- what do I do with "a ----load of tomatoes"?



What I do is to bethink me of an old blog-memory, and a recipe. Remember Chianti tomatoes? I was rather prolix about them. You marinate thickly sliced fresh tomatoes for 24 hours in chianti, and then you drain and slow-bake them, sprinkled with herbs, for 8 to 10 hours in a very slow (175 F) oven until they are leathery. Cool, pop them into freezer bags, and freeze them for use all fall and winter in soups, stews, omelettes, bread, or anything. You can re-use the marinating tomato-wine once more for the same purpose, or so my long-ago customer told me. I don't see why it couldn't also go into this weekend's pot roast, assuming the September weather turns sufficiently autumnal.

By the way, be sure you think clearly about the whole eight-to-ten hour baking thing. If you make a mistake, and reason somehow that baking two pansful of tomatoes from 8 pm to 8 am the next morning is just the ticket, you may find not only have you ruined your "Chianti tomatoes" but you probably may as well go out and buy new pans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ...

Escape hatch

Pardon a repeat of Feb. 2019, won't you? Warning! I've recently found out Blogger might be about to go the way of the dinosaurs. Sp...