Saturday, January 11, 2014

New cocktail: the Boston sour

"Eggs," as I pronounced to my attentive children the other day, "are many things, but they are not refreshing." Withal, I give you the recipe for a Boston sour (Charles Schumann's American Bar). And I frankly affirm, this newest cocktail was by way of being dreadful.

Boston sour

3/4 ounce (half a jigger) lemon juice
1 egg white
2 barspoons powdered sugar
1 and 1/2 ounce (a jigger) Bourbon
stemmed cherry

Shake all ingredients (except cherry) in a cocktail shaker with ice, then strain into an old-fashioned glass with ice cubes. Garnish with cherry. 

The drink is a little sour and a little sweet-tart and of course Bourbon-y, and withal rather frothy and rich. But somehow it's just not for me. This and the Porto Flip of long ago help convince me that eggs -- combined with liquor -- are many things, but not ... you understand.

Lemons. They are refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ...

Escape hatch

Pardon a repeat of Feb. 2019, won't you? Warning! I've recently found out Blogger might be about to go the way of the dinosaurs. Sp...