Monday, January 20, 2014

2003 Rocca delle Macie Chianti Classico Riserva

Since November of 2010 this has been a whopper of a post as far as pageviews are concerned: over 2700, big for me and my blog. Who knew so many people were googling Terrence Hill? 

A young red wine's mulberry purple color is here, it seems to me, just maturing past the cranberry of middle age and going on toward the deep purplish russets of -- well, I won't say old age, but rather classicism.

Delicious. An aroma of clean leather and olive brine, a taste of delicate fruits and a long, lightly prune compote-like finish. Did it explode, I wonder, with cherries and raspberries in its youth? -- or is this still its youth? The label says it may be cellared for 10 to 15 years, and I am drinking it only in its seventh. I do think it should go with a grilled (Havarti) cheese and tomato sandwich, don't you? How about two sandwiches, so I can have a second glass?

I'm delighted to be able to tell you also that Rocca delle Macie is a "young" winery by Italian standards, having only been founded in 1973 by the late film producer Italo Zingarelli. If you remember a film called Johnny Yuma, then you remember part of the Zingarelli oeuvre. If you remember sitting up late at night back in the '70s to watch television broadcasts of They Call Me Trinity, starring the terribly handsome Terence Hill (born Mario Girotti in Venice in 1939 -- who knew?), why then -- you remember the Zingarelli oeuvre even better. More power to it. It bought a nice winery.



Image of Terence Hill (shamelessly taken) from Gloobts.com


Delicious.
  
The more recent vintage of Rocca delle Macie Chianti Classico Riserva retails for about $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ...

Escape hatch

Pardon a repeat of Feb. 2019, won't you? Warning! I've recently found out Blogger might be about to go the way of the dinosaurs. Sp...